guix-devel

Re: Magit is very slow with Guix's Git checkout

From: Christopher Baines
Subject: Re: Magit is very slow with Guix's Git checkout
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 08:40:42 +0100

Chris Marusich <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been learning to use Magit more and more, and I really enjoy it.
> However, I've noticed that it takes a very long time (minutes) to give
> control back to me when I run "M-x magit-status" in my Guix checkout.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  Is there a way to avoid this slowdown?
> Magit is great, but it's painfully slow when I try to use it to interact
> with the Guix's Git repository.

This is probably due to the po directory containing lots of changes. I
normally get rid of these changes, as I never intentionally changed
anything in that directory. Magit is probably slow as it's rendering the
diffs for large files, so I'd watch out for what changes you have in the
repository if Magit is slow.