guix-devel

Re: Down with PYTHONPATH!

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Down with PYTHONPATH!
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2019 11:11:16 +0200

Hello,

Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> skribis:

> IMO the only sustainable solution it to patch the interpreter
> (Modules/getpath.c) to determine the correct "installation path"
> (profile). I did quite some work on this last year, but had no time to
> finish it. I still have no time for finishing, but I should be able to
> hand-over my results (including prepared patches for Python 3.7).

So the interpreter would somehow have to determine where what profile
it’s in (if any), like ‘current-profile’ in (guix describe) does?

Note that python would still have to run even when it’s not running from
a profile.

Ricardo Wurmus <address@hidden> skribis:

> GUIX_PYTHON2PATH / GUIX_PYTHON3PATH is as solution that’s really just a
> variant of what we’ve been doing all along (with PYTHONPATH), and it has
> precedent in GUIX_LOCPATH, GUIX_GTK2_IM_MODULE_FILE, and
> GUIX_GTK3_IM_MODULE_FILE.  It’s a simple solution and removing it later
> when a better solution comes along has virtually no costs.

I agree… except for using the argument of there being a precedent,
because these were not solutions we were particularly proud of I think.
:-)

Thanks,
Ludo’.