guix-devel

Re: Video license

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Video license
Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2019 07:33:46 +0000

Hello,

Björn Höfling <address@hidden> ezt írta (időpont: 2019. jún. 14., P, 9:44):
Hi Gábor,

On Wed, 12 Jun 2019 09:12:14 +0200
Gábor Boskovits <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> iirc this license discussion came about earlier, please have a look
> at that also.
> There were some problems regarding license compatibility. Otherwise I
> ageree.

I can't find the older discussions. Which are the problems regarding
license compatibility you see here?

Unfortunately I can't find it either, but I remember that this discussed. Sorry
about not being able to come up with more details.

The two things that came up was:
1. the manual is under GNU FDL, but as long as the videos are not considered
deriving from the manual, this should not be a problem.
2. can the videos have a separate license from the code that they are critically
dependent on? - believe yes.

So all in all, I believe that the license choices you made make sense, and iirc
I proposed exactly the same set of licenses on that older thread, which I will
try to find. It is well possible that it was discussed on irc.

I would like to see this fixed soon, the idea of having source code in
Guix' repositories that is only open-sourced but not free software
annoys me.

Björn

Yes, I agree, it would be great to fix this soon.

Best regards,
g_bor

--
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21