guix-devel

Re: Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System

From: Félicien Pillot
Subject: Re: Reviewing KDE Plasma state on Guix System
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2019 21:30:25 +0200

Thank you Marius for your answer, and for welcoming me into Guix!

Le Wed, 12 Jun 2019 12:18:42 +0200,
Hartmut Goebel <address@hidden> a écrit :
> I'm more than happy if someone picks up this work, as I'm lacking time
> to complete.
>
> I just added a *lot* of information to this repo, esp. the state of
> packaging, etc.
>
> * 10-TODO-….txt contain the status of my efforts (which might be
> outdated) and
>   a lot of snippets useful for building packages and making tests pass.
>
>   Please at least skim through these files as they contain lots hof
> hints and
>   some gems :-)
>
>   The most central of this is the "Status Unit-tests" in
>   10-TODO-plasma.txt. This documents the status of building the packages
>   required for plasma. I'm encouraging you to use this list to avoid getting
>   lost :-)

Thank you, I am currently cloning your git repo and reading your TODOs, it's a
big work you've already done, thank you!
I may ask you for some details when I finish looking through all your
documentation.
Remember that I'm a beginner on Guix, and haven't much free time to devote
myself to it, so it's possible the operation may take some time.

> * Proposed approach
>
>   1. Make the packages listed in "Status Unit-tests" in
>      10-TODO-plasma.txt. build and (most) tests pass. This list hopefully
>      contains all package required for a minimal Plasma desktop service.
>
>      I suggest using the plasma versions currently package on this branch to
>      avoid introducing more issues.
>
>   2. Build a system (see gnu/system/examples/plasma.tmpl and
>      gnu/services/desktop.scm) which starts runs a small (or even minimal)
>      Plasma desktop.
>
>   3. Define two (maybe more) desktop-services:
>      - plasma-minimal
>      - plasma
>      (- plasma-all-bells-and-wistels)

I'll let you know when it's done, hopefully in a little while!

Happy hacking,
--
Félicien Pillot
2C7C ACC0 FBDB ADBA E7BC  50D9 043C D143 6C87 9372