guix-devel

Re: Progress on 'guix deploy'

From: Jakob L. Kreuze
Subject: Re: Progress on 'guix deploy'
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2019 13:47:57 -0400

> OK, sounds good.
>
> Some time ago, I proposed to have ‘remove-eval’ where you could do:
>
>   (remote-eval #~(begin …) #:session …)
>
> which would take care of building and copying everything the gexp
> refers to (see
> <https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-03/msg00127.html>.)
> That would generalize a bit what you describe above. But anyway,
> that’s something that can always come later.

My focus for the next few days is going to be on cleaning up the
implementation of the internals, so I'll look into that. Gaining some
knowledge of how G-Expressions work would probably serve me well in
improving my kludge of a test suite anway ;)  But I think you're right
that it wouldn't be too difficult to deal with later on.

> Marionettes are just a way to instrument the system under test, which
> is running in a VM.
>
> I think what you need is to ensure the target VM (the one you’re
> deploying to) has a writable store. To do that, you could create the
> target VM with the equivalent of ‘guix system vm-image’, which is the
> ‘system-qemu-image’ procedure. (That will require a bit of disk space,
> because that image needs to be large enough to hold the store of the
> machine.)
>
> How does that sound?

Sounds like I've got some code to read :)

It seems likely that the SSH issue I was dealing was being caused by the
store being read-only. I'll investigate that today and report back.

> Consider hanging out on #guix and sending email here—it’s usually easier to
> get
> feedback on specific topics.
>
> Anyway, glad to see so much progress already! Thanks for the update!

Will do!

Regards,
Jakob