guix-devel

Re: guix package --search slow ?

From: zimoun
Subject: Re: guix package --search slow ?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 16:31:51 +0200

On Wed, 15 May 2019 at 15:48, Jonathan Brielmaier
<address@hidden> wrote:

> On 5/15/19 3:34 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> > We could probably improve the cold-cache timings by adding synopses and
> > descriptions to the package cache that ‘guix pull’ builds in
> > ~/.config/guix/current/lib/guix/package.cache, but that would also make
> > that cache bigger.  Not sure if it’s worth it.
>
> Another idea would be to have some kind of simple search which only
> includes the package name and maybe the synopsis. So this could go to
> the cache and I would assume that a cold-cache search will also be
> faster. And as a nice give away, it doesn't include so much scrolling :)

`guix package -A` already searches only for the names and uses the cache.
>From my opinion, the difference between adding the synopsis or
synopsis+description to the cache is similar. Qui peut le plus peut le
moins (Who can do more can do less too ;-)

> But in general I don't find the search so slow. Sometimes zypper for
> example has to refresh the repos and than "guix search" is faster, even
> with cold cache...

I agree that now the performance are not so "horrible", but even, can
we do better? :-)

All the best,
simon