guix-devel

Re: guix package --search slow ?

From: Jonathan Brielmaier
Subject: Re: guix package --search slow ?
Date: Wed, 15 May 2019 15:48:28 +0200

On 5/15/19 3:34 PM, Ludovic Courtès wrote:
> We could probably improve the cold-cache timings by adding synopses and
> descriptions to the package cache that ‘guix pull’ builds in
> ~/.config/guix/current/lib/guix/package.cache, but that would also make
> that cache bigger.  Not sure if it’s worth it.

Another idea would be to have some kind of simple search which only
includes the package name and maybe the synopsis. So this could go to
the cache and I would assume that a cold-cache search will also be
faster. And as a nice give away, it doesn't include so much scrolling :)

So something like:
$ guix search --simple numpy
python-numpy                 | Fundamental package for scientific...
python-numpy-documentation   | Documentation for the python-numpy...
python-numpydoc              |
python2-numpy                |
python2-numpy                |
python2-numpy-documentation  |
python2-numpydoc             |

But in general I don't find the search so slow. Sometimes zypper for
example has to refresh the repos and than "guix search" is faster, even
with cold cache...