guix-devel

Guix video repository: First video script commited

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Guix video repository: First video script commited
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 00:10:49 +0100

Hi Laura, Hi Guix,

the repository is now filled  with the scripts for the first video:

git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix/videos.git

To try it out, there is a script to enter a Guix container containing
all packages you need. After that, you can enter the video's directory
and call "./buildall.sh" to go through all build steps and get the
final video out:

$ ./environment.sh
Entering a Guix container to work with the videos.
Available packages in the container: paps make  imagemagick guile ffmpeg
inkscape coreutils which less grep findutils git emacs vim
[env]# cd 01-installation-from-script/
01-installation-from-script [env]# ./buildall.sh
[... building video ... ]

The video currently contains only the sounds to the slides, not to the
CLI sessions. All parts will be spoken again by a native speaker.

Unfortunately, the slides part does not fit on the screen, I couldn't
figure out why. Laura, your example videos looked normal, right?

For reference, I uploaded my final .webm output to IPFS:

QmdGJ1vs9QefS22WjjnSRJNjjEkL4ePfgYa3dHi8p7LshN

Laura, do you like that directory layout, the way of creating the full
final video? Do you have any clue why my slides don't fit the screen?
Would you like to go on with the rest of the videos in that way?

Don't be afraid of mistakes concerning the repository: Before pushing,
double-check that everything looks right, try to create the videos
locally, then push. If anything was wrong or not 100% perfect, that's
fine and can be corrected with a new commit. If you look closely into
the main Guix repository, you will also see mistakes. It is more a
matter of communications and get them corrected in time.

Thank you for all the work you have done so far.

Björn