guix-devel

Re: New topic: packaging

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: New topic: packaging
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2019 15:41:06 +0100

Hello,

> Then it would involve the whole things:
>
> * git clone ...
> * go into guix directory
> * Enter the environment:
>   guix environment guix
>   --> Explain what happens here and what's so cool about it.
> * ./bootstrap
> * ./configure --localstatedir=/var
> * make
> * Then the import begins:
> * ./pre-inst-env guix import ...
> * [hack file, using emacs, maybe ./pre-inst guix edit new-package]
> * ./pre-iinst-env guix build new-package
> * Check:
>   ./pre-inst-env guix lint new-package
> * Finally:
>   Commit, take care of the correct commit messsages
> * git format-patch and maybe git send-email

Yes, I agree to this outline. One possibility if it turns out to be
too much for a single video, is to spilt it up.

Like:
1. building guix from source:
> * git clone ...
> * go into guix directory
> * Enter the environment:
>   guix environment guix
>   --> Explain what happens here and what's so cool about it.
> * ./bootstrap
> * ./configure --localstatedir=/var
> * make

2. creating your package:
> * Then the import begins:
> * ./pre-inst-env guix import ...
> * [hack file, using emacs, maybe ./pre-inst guix edit new-package]
> * ./pre-iinst-env guix build new-package

3. checks:
guix lint
guix size
guix build --rounds=2
guix refresh -l (when updating instead of adding)

4. follow up activities:
creating the patch
sending the patch
following it on the issue tracker
incorporating feedback and resending...

WDYT?

In these series we could reference the other parts.

I would perfer to keep as few parts as possible, but this
is one way to split and organize it.

Best regards,
g_bor