guix-devel

It's time to build "guix deploy"

From: Christopher Lemmer Webber
Subject: It's time to build "guix deploy"
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 08:31:03 -0500

Hi,

This has come up several times.  A lot of us want "guix deploy".
Personally, I'm running a variety of Debian servers and one Guix server
and I am terrible at maintaining all of them.

It's time for Guix Deploy... or it's time for me to give up and use
something like Ansible + Debian.  (Egads!  I don't want to do that.)

David's thoughts on this are below, and here's the original thread:

Original thread can be found at the links below:
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-04/msg00525.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-05/msg00007.html
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2015-06/msg00006.html

There is a heavily, heavily bitrotted branch named "wip-deploy" where
David originally started exploring these ideas.  Conveniently, it's all
in one commit:

https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/guix.git/commit/?h=wip-deploy&id=fcd6fc84e493d05be1f7590ee77509c81ac315c2

That seems like a good starting point.  But I know David feels that with
real-world experience in devops type work that actually things would be
a bit different than what's described in his original email.  I'm not
sure myself what would be different.  It would be helpful to hear Dave
weigh in on that point.

Maybe Dave and I can meet up IRL now that we're close enough to each
other to chat about it.  But I know it's less fun than it used to be for
Dave to consider this because now that's Dave's actual job... but all
the more reason we need Dave's wisdom! :)