guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 18:00:28 +0100

On 29/10/2018 12.27, Alex Sassmannshausen wrote:

The association with the primary author makes some people think of the
... fighting stance of her, the anti-meritocracy thing and her use of
2nd-hand "quotes" to get people into trouble (trying to keep it short
here, thus far from exact).

I think if you make these assertions you might want to bring context.
As it stands it reads a little like "poisoning the well": you seem to
imply the CC is bad because allegedly the author has done bad things in
the past.

No, I'm saying that some opposition is motivated by the desire to have nothing to do with her, whatsoever. In order to not go off-topic, I tried to outline where the intensity might come from in short form.

Of course the rational thing is to separate the CoC from its primary author. But then CoC supporters like to explain how offense depends on the feeling of those offended, so maybe you might not want to declare this aspect of it to be meaningless.

Discussions regarding the CoC and Ehmke tend to attract problematic comments, but the start of this seems reasonable enough:
https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/974038-why-the-linux-coc-is-bad/

Two interesting reactions to attempts to establish the CoC in projects:
https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/12004#note-95
http://paul-m-jones.com/archives/6214

I take it for some it reads like an invitation to those with little to
nothing better to do, to report perceived or even made-up misbehavior.

And that assumption by those people would be, to the best of my
knowledge of the actual facts, incorrect.

This depends solely on whether there are people like that (numerous enough to matter).

How does one manage to separate gender identity and expression from
sexual identity and orientation? Maybe one must take gender studies

Just to clarify, gender identity and expression refers to who you (feel
like you) are.  Sexual identity & orientation is about who you are
attracted to.

I get gender identity and expression and orientation, but honestly don't understand what sexual identity is supposed to mean in distinction. Wikipedia makes it seem to be identical to sexual orientation. Biological sex doesn't appear at all!?

So if Jim reports that Jane threatened him to foobar his baz, then the
project team has to contact Jane, but must keep it secret that Jim
reported the issue? While being fair to Jane? Maybe such threats are
illegal in the countries of both, maybe it's actually one country and
police and the judicature might get involved?

If the reporter is a 3rd party, sure, but even then an accused person
may express anger towards the potential victim, via assuming that the
potential victim reported personally.

Now there may be cases where protecting a reporter is important and
just, but this "protecting any accuser, always" stance seems
problematic.

This reads like hyperbole.  If somenoe makes a complaint about me, I
will be contacted by the maintainers.  They will discuss the nature of
the allegation with me, and hopefully I will be able to say "Shit, I had
no idea what I did had this impact on someone else in the community.
Thanks for bringing this to me.  Any idea how I can avoid this in
future?".

I don't see where the problem is there?

The problem is you completely ignored the problem of maintaining confidentiality while letting the accused know _exactly_ what the accusation is about.

The CoC encourages "believe the accuser" and "guilty until proven innocent" for the accused.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/