guix-devel

Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation discussing priorities

From: Julien Lepiller
Subject: Re: GNU Guix Video Documentation discussing priorities
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 12:00:23 +0100

Le 2018-10-29 08:53, Gábor Boskovits a écrit :
Hello Guix,

Regarding the Outreachy Project for Creating Video Documentation for GNU Guix,
we come to a point where we should set up the priorities:
1. What types of videos should be created first:
a. introducing concepts,
b. practical howtos.
2. What audience to target:
a. people not yet interested in guix
b. people new to guix
c. users
d. developers.
3. What topics to cover first.

Please feel free to add to the list above, if you feel anything is missing.
Any suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,
g_bor

I think we should focus on more practical howtos aimed at people new to guix. So our priority would be “installing guix on a foreign distro”, “installing guixsd” and “using guix: installing, upgrading and removing packages” (including guix pull).
Maybe "guix gc" should get a video too.

I can also think of other video titles like “environments vs profiles” (showing the difference between the two with practical examples) which would be aimed at developpers (not guix developpers, developpers of other things) (it could be “developping on guixsd”). “Getting back to work” when something is wrong, show how
to roll-back a package profile, a system profile or even guix itself.

Thoughts?