guix-devel

guix pull: error: symlink: File exists (was: Re: [outreachy] Further ste

From: Thorsten Wilms
Subject: guix pull: error: symlink: File exists (was: Re: [outreachy] Further steps)
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 19:29:58 +0200

On 25/10/2018 16.55, Laura Lazzati wrote:
BTW, I was trying to run guix pull, the one installed on top of my
foreing distro - not the one in the guix environment - and I am
getting this error, don't know why, I have already run guix pull
before:
:~/guix$ guix pull
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura'...
guix pull: error: symlink: File exists:
"/var/guix/profiles/per-user/laura/current-guix-1-link"
It seems that something is mixed up between the old and new guix pull,
I hope someone can provide some more insight. Ludo?
Yes please, I need to fix this before going on.
Here is what happened, so that I provide the full information
After having my patch approved, I ran git pull (on master branch, of
course, I then created branches)
I wanted to check that everything was fine, so I ran:
:~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
| sort >newR.txt
And got the output:
Command 'recsel' not found, but can be installed with:
sudo apt install recutils
(which is strange, I have played with recsel before sending my
patches, when learning guix package command)
so i ran guix package -I, where recutils was effectively installed
However, I tried:
$guix package -i recutils
guix package: warning: Your Guix installation is 13 days old.
guix package: warning: Consider running 'guix pull' followed by
'guix package -u' to get up-to-date packages and security updates.
The package was installed after those warnings, and I was asked to
export env variables:
export PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
export INFOPATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/share/info${INFOPATH:+:}$INFOPATH"
Did so, but when running again:
:~/guix$ guix package -s "^r" | recsel -p name description| grep '\S'
| sort >newR.txt
Got the output:
recsel: error: cannot read file description
And also got that error when running guix pull.

Hi, this error happened here, too, also on a foreign distro, without any extra steps.

---
Migrating profile generations to '/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil'...
guix pull: error: symlink: File exists: "/var/guix/profiles/per-user/thorwil/current-guix-1-link"
---

At the same time, a `sudo guix pull` works fine.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software:
http://thorwil.wordpress.com/