guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Alex Griffin
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2018 09:21:16 -0500

Jack Hill <address@hidden> skribis:

> Interesting. I too am eager understand your thinking on this.

I am skeptical of codes of conduct in FLOSS projects because they often
come bundled with a certain (non-software-related) political orthodoxy.

The Contributor Covenant is the worst offender in this regard, having
been created specifically for that purpose [1]. Although most of the
offending text has now been removed from the document itself, the same
spirit still follows behind it to projects that adopt the CC.

(It is also baffling to me that programmers would want to recreate an
imitation HR department in their time off from the corporate world, but
I'll put that aside.)

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 12:02:37PM +0200, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Same here.  For the record, the code of conduct was adopted in Guix
> in Dec. 2015.

I hadn't noticed when I first started contributing. A bad code of
conduct can still work out fine with good project leadership in place,
which is why the Contributor Covenant was only one of several factors
influencing my decision to move away from Guix.

I hope it is evident that I don't oppose the CoC out of a desire to
behave badly. Please forgive some vagueness as well; I tried very hard
not to provoke unnecessary controversy. As a result much of this email
was edited out before sending.

--
Alex Griffin

[1]: https://twitter.com/coralineada/status/1041465346656530432