guix-devel

Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: Re: Promoting the GNU Kind Communication Guidelines?
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 15:38:55 +0200

Hullo Mathieu!

Mathieu Lirzin wrote:
Following the announcement made by RMS regarding the new GNU Kind Communication Guidelines (GKCG) [1], I would like to know if the Guix developpers in particular its maintainers would agree to adopt it in
place of the current Code of Conduct (CoC)?

They seem reasonable (a tad reactionary, but hey, it's rms) but orthogonal to our CoC.

Adopting the GKCG instead of a CoC would help attracting people (like
me) who agree to use a welcoming and respectful language which
encourages everyone to contribute but are reluctant in contributing to any project following a CoC due to its punitive nature and the politics
of its authors [2][3].

I've (re-)read the links you've provided (thanks). I guess it's supposed to be obvious what you find disagreeable about them, but if one doesn't disagree, it's not that obvious. :-)

(TBH that's the only reason I replied at all: I'd like to learn more about the different perspectives on this issue. The 'debate' dividing other projects is entirely unenlightening and tedious. I hope we can do better.)

That said, I hope we can address any perceived lack of merit in (our copy of) the CoC without resorting to its original authors. The resulting irony blast would level multiple city blocks.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/info-gnu/2018-10/msg00001.html
[2] https://www.contributor-covenant.org/