guix-devel

Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)

From: Gábor Boskovits
Subject: Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2018 20:22:11 +0200

Hello Lakshmi,

Lakshmi Prasannakumar <address@hidden> ezt írta
(időpont: 2018. okt. 23., K, 14:35):

> Hi Gábor and Björn,
>
> I was trying to install the new packages with the documentation mentioned in
> the Outreachy site as below
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Defining-Packages.html
>
> Here I see a code to define a package for 'Hello' and I assume in order to
> define a package for Anaconda I just need to change this code with source,
> url details of Anaconda something like this as mentioned in the bold.

I suggest leaving packaging this for later.

I assume we are talking about this package here:
https://github.com/Anaconda-Platform/anaconda-project

> (define-module (gnu packages Anaconda)

I believe we already have a module where this would fit, so please
look around in gnu/packages for filenames where you could add this.

>   #:use-module (guix packages)
>   #:use-module (guix download)
>   #:use-module (guix build-system Anaconda)

There is no such build system, most probably you will need
python-build-system here.

>   #:use-module (guix licenses)
>   #:use-module (gnu packages gawk))

I don't think you will need gawk here...

> (define-public Anaconda

I believe 'anaconda' would be better.

>   (package
>     (name "Anaconda")

Also here.

>     (version "3.10")
>     (source (origin
>               (method url-fetch)
>               (uri (string-append "Anaconda's Website URL" version
>                                   ".tar.gz"))

Most probably you should fetch from some python package repository.

>               (sha256
>                (base32
>                 "0ssi1wpaf7plaswqqjwigppsg5fyh99vdlb9kzl7c9lng89ndq1i"))))
>     (build-system gnu-build-system)

Also python-build-system here.

>     (arguments '(#:configure-flags '("--enable-silent-rules")))
>     (inputs `(("gawk" ,gawk)))

These well need adjustment, as needed for the given package.

>     (synopsis "Hello, GNU world: An example GNU package")
>     (description "Guess what GNU Hello prints!")
>     (home-page "http://www.gnu.org/software/hello/";)
>     (license gpl3+)))
>
> Request you to guide me to get a better understanding here as I saw one more
> page in this url, that uses some pull commands to run some build etc.
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/html_node/Invoking-guix-pull.html#Invoking-guix-pull
>
> Thanks,
> Lakshmi Prasannakumar
> Bangalore

With all that said, what I recommend is to try either:

1. use guix import to get the metadata for this package, if it is
available in pypi.
2. use guix import to generate a definition for some package from the
cran repository instead. (These are easy to package, the importer does
most of the job).

I would try #2 first, as it is a good way to get a contribution fast.

Best regards,
g_bor