guix-devel

Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: Video Documentation for GNU GUIX (an Outreachy project)
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2018 13:46:37 +0200

Hi Lakshmi,

On Thu, 18 Oct 2018 14:52:30 +0530
Lakshmi Prasannakumar <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Gábor,
>
> I have followed the Binary-Installation procedures and installed the
> hello package to my root.
> The next step I understand is to add another package from the list in
> https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/packages/
> I tried following this step to install a package from the list i.e.
> 4ti2 1.6.7 using the below commands:
> *guix package -i 4ti2 1.6.7*
>
> However, I got the error as :
>

> *guile: warning: failed to install localehint: Consider installing the
> `glibc-utf8-locales' or `glibc-locales' package anddefining
> `GUIX_LOCPATH', along these lines:     guix package -i
> glibc-utf8-locales     export
> GUIX_LOCPATH="$HOME/.guix-profile/lib/locale"See the "Application
> Setup" section in the manual, for more info.* Is it due my incomplete
> GUIX installation or are there further steps to follow?

I think there is no error. As it says, this is only a warning. Or is
there anything else I have overseen in your message?

If unsure, you can check the return code of the previous command by
directly typing

echo $?

The return code should be 0.

You can also list the installed packages in Guix and see if hello and
4ti2 are installed:

guix package -I

Note the CAPITAL I.

You can also list the generations. As you first installed hello and in
a second step you installed 4ti2, there should be at least two
generations:

guix package --list-generations

The warning is about the locale. To get rid of it, do exactly what the
warning says, and/or read the section of the manual that the warning is
pointing to :-)

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/en/guix.html#Application-Setup

Hope this helps, otherwise feel free to ask,

Björn