guix-devel

Re: Package for LXQt. Help wanted.

From: 宋文武
Subject: Re: Package for LXQt. Help wanted.
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 22:31:48 +0800

Meiyo Peng <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I made a series of packages for LXQt. The code is at:
> https://github.com/meiyopeng/guix/tree/lxqt

Hello, it looks great!

> I did this beacuse I want to run i3 window manager within lxqt
> session. Currently most things work great except lxqt-panel. I have two
> problems.
>
> 1. The $QT_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable points to
> /run/current-system/profile/lib/qt5/plugins. I don't know where it's
> set.

The QT_PLUGIN_PATH can be set by the 'native-search-paths' of qtbase, I
guess you have qtbase in your system profile.  If you install qtbase
into the user profile, the variable would contains
'~/.guix-profile/lib/qt5/plugins'.

> So qtsvg has to be installed into syetem profile, or all the lxqt
> applications can not properly display icons.

Yeah, instead the system profile you can also install qtsvg, etc. into
the user profile.

> Should I add qtsvg to lxqt applications' propagated-inputs? If so,
> should I add qtbase too, since qtbase also provides lib/qt5/plugins,
> although lxqt works without qtbase in system profile but I can never
> be sure.

Yes, we can make them 'propagated-inputs' so that the variables can be
set by the profile (via native-search-paths), or we can wrap the
binaries with all the environment variables (eg: krita).

> 2. lxqt-panel complains about "Warning: Could not find any platform
> plugin". (lxqt-runner also prints this message but it works.) I found
> out this message was printed by kwindowsystem.
>
> The related code in kwindowsystem:
> https://github.com/KDE/kwindowsystem/blob/9f88c9a5d25ff7909c25ce399572ca348b5706b1/src/pluginwrapper.cpp#L79
>
> Qt's document (https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qcoreapplication.html#libraryPaths)
> says "entries of the QT_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable are always
> added to libraryPaths". So I install kwindowsystem into system profile,
> and add /run/current-system/profile/lib/plugins to QT_PLUGIN_PATH. Then
> this error message disappear. But lxqt-panel still does not work.

Okay, we can look into it later...

> I still have no idea how to fix lxqt-panel. This does not affect me
> because I use i3, so lxqt-panel is useless to me. But there may be other
> people interested in LXQt and I want to help them get this fixed. Can
> anybody help me?
>
> Will anybody help me review the code? I'd appreciate it.

Generally it look good to me, and I had cherry-pick 2 commits, and push
them (hope it doesn't break existing other lxqt things...), and will
look into others in next days.

Some notes to you:
- Wrap lines under 80 characters if possible.
- Keep comments for '#:tests #f', etc.

Thank you!