guix-devel

Package for LXQt. Help wanted.

From: Meiyo Peng
Subject: Package for LXQt. Help wanted.
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2018 12:57:06 +0800

Hello everyone,

I made a series of packages for LXQt. The code is at:
https://github.com/meiyopeng/guix/tree/lxqt

I did this beacuse I want to run i3 window manager within lxqt
session. Currently most things work great except lxqt-panel. I have two
problems.

1. The $QT_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable points to
/run/current-system/profile/lib/qt5/plugins. I don't know where it's
set. So qtsvg has to be installed into syetem profile, or all the lxqt
applications can not properly display icons. Should I add qtsvg to
lxqt applications' propagated-inputs? If so, should I add qtbase too,
since qtbase also provides lib/qt5/plugins, although lxqt works without
qtbase in system profile but I can never be sure.

2. lxqt-panel complains about "Warning: Could not find any platform
plugin". (lxqt-runner also prints this message but it works.) I found
out this message was printed by kwindowsystem.

The related code in kwindowsystem:
https://github.com/KDE/kwindowsystem/blob/9f88c9a5d25ff7909c25ce399572ca348b5706b1/src/pluginwrapper.cpp#L79

Qt's document (https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qcoreapplication.html#libraryPaths)
says "entries of the QT_PLUGIN_PATH environment variable are always
added to libraryPaths". So I install kwindowsystem into system profile,
and add /run/current-system/profile/lib/plugins to QT_PLUGIN_PATH. Then
this error message disappear. But lxqt-panel still does not work.

I still have no idea how to fix lxqt-panel. This does not affect me
because I use i3, so lxqt-panel is useless to me. But there may be other
people interested in LXQt and I want to help them get this fixed. Can
anybody help me?

Will anybody help me review the code? I'd appreciate it.

--
Meiyo Peng