guix-devel

Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 19:13:28 +0200

Hi Laura,

Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> writes:

> You were right. I took a look at my .bashrc file, and I had an:
> export PATH="/home/laura/.guix-profile/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
> I ran $guix pull, did the PATH export in my CLI, then checked the output of
> $which guix, that was the same that was mentioned by you,
> commented that previous line in .bashrc,
> added  export PATH="/home/laura/.config/guix/current/bin${PATH:+:}$PATH"
> and ran again the command to check the available R packages, made a
> diff with the previous one, and now at least r-bae appears.

You should export environment variables such as PATH in
‘~/.bash_profile’ instead of ‘~/.bashrc’.  :-)

Quoting the documentation[1]:

    Users sometimes wrongfully augment environment variables such as
    ‘PATH’ in their ‘~/.bashrc’ file.  As a consequence, when ‘guix
    environment’ launches it, Bash may read ‘~/.bashrc’, thereby
    introducing “impurities” in these environment variables.  It is an
    error to define such environment variables in ‘.bashrc’; instead,
    they should be defined in ‘.bash_profile’, which is sourced only by
    log-in shells.  See ‘Bash Startup Files[2]’, for details on Bash
    start-up files.

Cheers,
Clément

[1]: