guix-devel

Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package

From: Björn Höfling
Subject: Re: [outreach] Help trying to create R package
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2018 00:18:51 +0200

Hi Laura,

On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 10:13:23 -0300
Laura Lazzati <address@hidden> wrote:

[importing problems ...]

Could you solve your certificate-problem? Have you been successfully in
importing a package?

Unfortunately the package of your choice is already part of guix:

$ guix package -s "rtracklayer$"
name: r-rtracklayer
version: 1.40.6
outputs: out
systems: x86_64-linux i686-linux armhf-linux aarch64-linux mips64el-linux
dependencies: address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
+ address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
+ address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
+ address@hidden address@hidden address@hidden
location: gnu/packages/bioinformatics.scm:7696:2
homepage: https://bioconductor.org/packages/rtracklayer
license: Artistic License 2.0
synopsis: R interface to genome browsers and their annotation tracks
+ multiple genome browsers (currently UCSC built-in) and manipulating annotation
+ tracks in various formats (currently GFF, BED, bedGraph, BED15, WIG, BigWig
+ and 2bit built-in).  The user may export/import tracks to/from the supported
+ browsers, as well as query and modify the browser state, such as the current
+ viewport.
relevance: 4

Can you find another one?

> I am trying to do my best. I am reading the documentation carefully, I
> recall mentioning that I am that kind of person,  but I also know that
> time counts for the contributions.

Yes, you mentioned that :-) The documentation is huge, with lots of
special concepts. I would recommend reading it only partially, whenever
you need more information.

> And if I figure out how to package
> R packages, then I can also package more packages and, whatever the
> result of outreachy might be, well, there are more useful packages in
> guix.
> For instance, I tried, before of asking for help with  the example
> shown with cairo and it worked fine, so I was  not understanding very
> well what was happening,
> In addition, I have just run
> $ guix package -s "\<R\>" | recsel -p name,synopsis >>
> outputRwithNameAndSynopsis.txt
> and found even more R packages already installed.

Here is another one:

guix package -s "^r-" | recsel -p name| grep '\S' | sort >r.txt

the carret-symbol "^" matches the beginning of the line.
There are some empty lines, which get sorted out with the grep.

> Well, time to work!

Good luck!

Björn