guix-devel

Re: Lisp: Package cl-cffi-gtk

From: Andy Patterson
Subject: Re: Lisp: Package cl-cffi-gtk
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 03:30:26 -0400

Hi,

On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 15:16:33 +0200
Pierre Neidhardt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Alright, I've packaged it as you suggested.  See the wip-nextbrowser
> branch. If was slightly simpler as for Sly.
>
> That said, I wonder if this is not over-complicated.
> Wouldn't it be easier to mimic Quicklisp there and automatically push
> all .asd to the central registry?

We don't want to use the central registry at all as it's the older way
to tell asdf where systems live, and it's less flexible.  I understand
what you're getting at though.  I do think there are some advantages to
mapping systems to packages.  It allows the guix dependency graph to
exactly match the real dependency graph between systems, for example.
The #:asd-system-name and #:asd-file arguments could become complicated
if we're going to support multiple systems per package.

If you feel that it's worth it to do this, I could have a go at
implementing it so that we can see what it would look like (I might do
this anyway).  Of course, you're also free to do so as well, and I can
help if you need.

--
Andy