guix-devel

Matrix & Nheko Packaging

From: Brett Gilio
Subject: Matrix & Nheko Packaging
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2018 22:14:53 -0500

Hi all,

In my time using GuixSD I have had some relative success in not only learning the environment, but also getting some of my peers to switch. As with Guix still being very much a growing project, we all know the excitement and struggle that comes with the repository lacking some
essential packages we are accustomed in a transition.

My peers and I use the Matrix protocol for most of our communication as a secondary option to IRC and Email. I have been contemplating which Matrix client would be easiest to package for Guix and have decided on
Nheko, which is free software.

This client has most of the necessary components already packaged on Guix with the exception of a few. Thankfully, those missing packages are also free software. So, in total, I would be looking at packaging three
or four components.

I am wondering if there are any other Matrix users who have any
objections or agreement to this possibility.

Anyways, carry on.

https://github.com/mujx/nheko

--
Brett M. Gilio