guix-devel

Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium

From: Clément Lassieur
Subject: Re: Firefox 52's end of life, packaging Chromium
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2018 00:35:29 +0200

Hi Amirouche,

Thanks for your answer.

Amirouche Boubekki <address@hidden> writes:

> Let's choose our battle wisely. I want to remind that the core of the
> guix users are GNU followers and are also anything but pro web or pro
> web browser or a variation of that. I don't say every GNU follower is
> against the www.  It's not the core of potential guix users

Guix does not target GNU followers.  It targets all users.  GNU
followers are a very small part of them and they are not a problem
because they usually find their way around.  The problem is all users
that are not GNU followers (and some GNU followers like me) who need a
modern browser.  We definitely don't want to frighten them with our
nostalgic ideas about how the web should be and how a browser should be.
They just want a browser that works.  As long as it's free software,
let's not complicate things for them.  Otherwise we'll never grow.

> 1) What firefox or chromium are useful for compared to other graphical
> web browsers?
>
> 2) What will chromium bring to guix and guix developers that they
> can't do otherwise?
>
> 3) What are the minimal features for a graphical web browser to be
> useful for a guix developer?

Today I needed to browse some sites, at work, and I couldn't do it with
anything else than Firefox and Chromium.  I'm not alone.  Lots of people
need to browse complicated sites that they don't know in advance.  We
don't want them to wonder, every time: is it going to work with the
browser shipped with Guix?

> I still don't know why people would want to use that except for SaaSS
> stuff.

My Epiphany issues happened while reading newspapers.

Clément