guix-devel

Re: git-annex: problematic shebangs in .git/hooks/pre-commit?

From: Timothy Sample
Subject: Re: git-annex: problematic shebangs in .git/hooks/pre-commit?
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2018 12:44:24 -0400

Hi Kyle,

Kyle Meyer <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Thanks for packaging git-annex, Tim!  I'm excited to see it in Guix.

You’re welcome!

> I'm wondering whether the shebang patching in .git/hooks/pre-commit will
> cause a problem.  Using the patched shellPath_portable, 'git annex init'
> generates a hook like this:
>
>     % cat .git/hooks/pre-commit
>     #!/gnu/store/rbrandv7anzjxqkr40d7fkanzssslk4b-bash-minimal-4.4.19/bin/sh
>     # automatically configured by git-annex
>     git annex pre-commit .
>
> But won't this break if that particular bash-mininimal is garbage collected?

My understanding is that since git-annex contains a reference to
bash-minimal, the garbage collector will leave it alone.  Indeed,
running “guix gc --references /gnu/store/…-git-annex-20180626” shows
that Guix knows that git-annex needs bash-minimal.  As long as git-annex
is available (a prerequisite to the pre-commit hook working)
bash-minimal will be available.

-- Tim