guix-devel

(Ab?)using aliases to set ls' and others' colours

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice
Subject: (Ab?)using aliases to set ls' and others' colours
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 13:38:34 +0200

Tobias Geerinckx-Rice wrote:
Björn Höfling wrote:
ls has a colored output. Nice.
ls | less has ugly escape sequences. Only ls --color=no | less
works.

I'd be surprised if ‘ls | less -R’ didn't (and that would be a bug).

Otherwise, this is standard behaviour for both ‘ls’ and ‘less’.

Apologies, I made a reado.

‘ls | $foo’ should indeed detect a missing tty and stop spewing colour automatically. At least if ‘ls’ is properly aliased to ‘ls --color=auto’.

Instead, it is aliased[0] to use ‘--color’ — short for ‘ls --color=always’ — for reasons I cannot understand. We do the same for ‘grep’.

Perhaps it was assumed that ‘--color’ on its own implies ‘auto’ instead of ‘always’ (I could see how that could happen)? Or ‘--color=auto’ is too cautious, and disables colour in a situation where the author expects it? In that case I don't think the trade-off is worth it.

On the other hand, what I consider an obvious bug has been around since literal forever[1], so maybe I'm missing something obvious here. I've CC'd the original author. If everyone agrees or nobody responds, I'd like to change it to something less aggressive before 0.15.[2]

What? Not sure yet. I'm not even sure this should be handled by aliases at all. Our default ‘ls’ alias also adds a ‘-p’, which is probably valid [although I find it useless and annoying and disable it], but colours for both commands can also be controlled through the {LS,GREP}_COLORS variables which seems like a better fit for distro defaults like these. We can even change the colours! But let's not.

Oh, I don't know.

This is the kind of trivial bug that would've put me off a distro, I guess.

Kind regards,

T G-R

[0]: in gnu/system/shadow.scm
[1]: 2013, at least: 0b86a82dc7e649e4ae551edefba445690a315b83
[2]: I'm already doing so in my own .bashrc, which has drifted away from Guix's current upstream version, which is its own little annoying gotcha.