guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Sun, 06 May 2018 20:36:14 -0400

On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 18:33:56 +0200, Hartmut Goebel wrote:
> Am 06.05.2018 um 16:05 schrieb Mike Gerwitz:
>> In the case of their addon
>> system, they encourage installation of non-free addons, which is against
>> the Free Software Distribution Guidelines (FSDG), and is the same reason
>> that Debian isn't a recommended free software distribution.
>>
> My aim is to empower people, not to infantilize them.
>
> If we disable adding add-on, we appoint ourselves as guardian for
> immature users. And this IMHO is contrary to "free" (as in "free speech").

There might be a miscommunication: I'm not suggesting that we disable
addons (I use many of them), merely that we do not have the default
Firefox addon page, which encourages non-free software.  IceCat replaces
it with its own page that uses the free software directory, for example.
Users are free to use that directory; go to addons.mozilla.org
themselves; or install addons however else they choose.

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer