guix-devel

Re: Packaging a free Firefox

From: Pjotr Prins
Subject: Re: Packaging a free Firefox
Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 17:32:05 +0200

On Sun, May 06, 2018 at 10:05:35AM -0400, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> Packaging Firefox as-is is not an option.  In the case of their addon
> system, they encourage installation of non-free addons, which is against
> the Free Software Distribution Guidelines (FSDG), and is the same reason
> that Debian isn't a recommended free software distribution.

Which is ridiculous. The Debian project goes to great lengths
providing free software  and is an absolute boon to free software in
general.

That they allow users to help package other things is pragmatic and
only grows the community in the end (I agree with Hartmut). Without
distributions like Debian Linux would have been much smaller. Maybe we
should appreciate that and help that form our own strategy.

Last thing I say about it. I appreciate absolute thinking - it is
important to be critical. But we also need to be pragmatic.

Pj.