guix-devel

Re: GSOC 2016 Application

From: sapientech
Subject: Re: GSOC 2016 Application
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2016 00:08:27 -0700

Hi Chris thanks for the response!

On 2016-03-25 09:03, Chris Marusich wrote:
I would be happy to share with you the hacky little shell scripts I use
to do this today.  They're simple automations of the manual procedure,
really, but perhaps they could be useful.  I am not familiar with the
implementation details of installer wizards used by other distros, but
I've seen and used my fair share of them.

I would definitely like to see the shell scripts you have -- just let me know how you would like to share those files.

- Consider both a text-based and graphical application using
guile-ncurses/libRUIN

While it's good to plan for both text and graphical UI, maybe it will be more efficient to pick one to focus on, and treat the other as a stretch
goal?

I agree and should turn the GUI interface into a stretch goal.

- Design for portability for use in other software distributions that
lack a proper installer wizard

Again, this is a nice idea, but it might be more efficient to focus on
getting it to work with Guix first.

- An emphasis on rigorous test suites, with stability prioritized over features

GuixSD is still beta software.  Is it a good idea to make one of your
goals be "the installer is stable" when the system it's installing is
not stable?

I also agree with your sentiments here that I should prioritize Guix before considering other operating systems.

One reason I think stability is particularly important here though, is that installs have to check for a lot of edge cases, and it's generally difficult for users to solve the problem since the api is so limited. I agree I shouldn't go overboard, as Guile itself is in beta, though :)

Best,
Dylan