guix-devel

0.8.3 update

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: 0.8.3 update
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 18:48:30 +0200

Hi!

address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) skribis:

> I think we should release 0.8.3 for mid to end July.

I would like to target Wednesday, 22nd, which means the release must be
tagged on Tuesday.  That sounds doable.

Mark: will you be around to produce the armhf tarball?

By then we’ll have to merge core-updates.  It’s mostly built on x86
already; mips64el may be largely built by tomorrow, hopefully.

>   • Merging wip-diet and wip-environment, and maybe wip-container,
>     though that one could just as well be merged afterwards.

There are missing bits from wip-container.  We’ll see whether David can
help with that, but otherwise that’ll be for the next time.

>   • We must sit down and fix as many bugs as possible.
>     <http://bugs.gnu.org/20765> is a blocker IMO, but help is needed
>     from Pythonistas.  <http://bugs.gnu.org/20888> must be fixed too,
>     but there are many others.

Python people, help!

>   • ‘guix build hydra -n’ literally takes ages, as Eric noted, so that
>     needs to be investigated.

Fixed in core-updates.

>   • ‘guix system’ is quite slow, but it’s apparently computing the same
>     derivations several times, which must be fixed.

Haven’t checked that yet.

Now is the time to run the test suite and report any issues:

  https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/Running-the-Test-Suite.html

I’ll push an installation image after the core-updates merge.  In the
meantime, you can also build it yourself from ‘master’ to give it a try:

https://www.gnu.org/software/guix/manual/html_node/System-Installation.html#Building-the-Installation-Image

Ludo’.