guix-devel

ath9k vs. Linux-libre 4.1.2, and default kernel

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: ath9k vs. Linux-libre 4.1.2, and default kernel
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 15:48:47 +0200

Hello!

When switching from 4.0.5 to 4.1.2, I noticed that my ath9k-based
ThinkPenguin WiFi dongle would no longer work (“Resource unavailable”
when running ‘iwlist xxx scan’, etc.)

For a while, I suspected a firmware miscompilation but then noticed that
using the previous, known-good firmware didn’t help.

Then, from the “cfg80211: Exceeded CRDA call max attempts” kernel
messages, I thought that maybe CRDA had become mandatory (hence commits
68ac258 and cc205da), but that turned out not to be the case.

So I decided to switch to a 4.0.8 kernel (hence 97121c2), and now
everything works like a charm.

Another problem I had with 4.1.2 is that ‘sudo true’ would often take 10
seconds or so, with or without nscd running.

With all that in mind, I’m inclined to use 4.0.8 as the default kernel
for the release (specifically, as the default value of the ‘kernel’
field.)

What do people think?

Thanks,
Ludo’.