guix-devel

Merging ‘HACKING’ in the manual?

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Merging ‘HACKING’ in the manual?
Date: Sun, 31 May 2015 21:20:33 +0200

Mathieu Lirzin <address@hidden> skribis:

> When reacting, I didn't realize that most of your statement is actually
> documented in the recent "Running Guix Before It Is Installed" node in
> doc/guix.texi.
>
> Nevertheless, I find it not really relevant to give hacking information
> in chapter 'Installation'.

Agreed but...

> The attached patch tries to give a better consistency in the location
> of these useful informations.

... c71979f just did the opposite move, so no.  :-)

> Even if I find this patch appropriate ;-), my personnal preference would
> be to delete HACKING, and move all its informations in the chapter
> 'Contributing' of the Holy Bible (with appropriate refinement of
> course!) and refer to it in README. Opinions about this?

Yeah, probably.  I’m not completely sure about moving things like patch
submission and coding style in there; on one hand, it’s not something
one would expect in a “user manual”, but on the other hand, it’s nice to
have everything consistently maintained in one place.

Another option would be to have a second .texi document for these things
(like Findutils, which has a ‘findutils-maint’ document.)

What do people think?

Ludo’.