Re: GNU Guile 2.9.4 Released [beta]

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 2.9.4 Released [beta]
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 23:06:41 +0200

Am Mo., 26. Aug. 2019 um 21:13 Uhr schrieb Mark H Weaver <address@hidden>:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Am Mo., 26. Aug. 2019 um 19:10 Uhr schrieb <address@hidden>:
> >>
> >> Perhaps you have to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf (or some
> >> file below /etc/ld.so.conf.d) and run ldconfig.
> >>
> >> HTH
> >> -- tomás
> >
> > Hi tomás,
> >
> > thanks for your hints.
> > I've got it work by running nothing else than
> > sudo ldconfig
> >
> > But I wonder, shouldn't it work out of the box with 'sudo make install' ?
>
> Running 'ldconfig' is not always appropriate, and therefore the vast
> majority of programs do *not* run 'ldconfig' in "make install".  Whether
> it is appropriate depends on several factors, including which OS and
> distro you're using, which prefix you're installing to, whether you're
> building a distro package that will actually be installed at a later
> time, and which of several available mechanisms you have chosen to use
> to allow programs to find their shared libraries.
>
> For example, it's *never* appropriate to run 'ldconfig' on NixOS or Guix
> systems, nor when building a Debian package or similar where the actual
> installation will happen later, nor when installing into a directory
> that's not listed in /etc/ld.so.conf (or /etc/ld.so.conf.d), nor when
> running "make install" as non-root.
>
> In theory we could try to make a guess, but there's no reliable way for
> the build system to know whether it is appropriate or not, and in
> practice it is usually done as a separate step in most modern systems.
>
>      Regards,
>        Mark

Hi Mark,

many thanks for your explanations.
You may remember from here:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2019-08/msg00016.html
that I'm used to switch guile-versions pretty frequently.

For every guile-version so far 'sudo make install' worked out of the
box (apart from the problem discussed in the linked thread), thus I
was surprised it didn't today.

Thanks,
  Harm