Re: GNU Guile 2.9.4 Released [beta]

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: GNU Guile 2.9.4 Released [beta]
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2019 15:12:47 -0400

Hi Thomas,

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Am Mo., 26. Aug. 2019 um 19:10 Uhr schrieb <address@hidden>:
>>
>> Perhaps you have to add /usr/local/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf (or some
>> file below /etc/ld.so.conf.d) and run ldconfig.
>>
>> HTH
>> -- tomás
>
> Hi tomás,
>
> thanks for your hints.
> I've got it work by running nothing else than
> sudo ldconfig
>
> But I wonder, shouldn't it work out of the box with 'sudo make install' ?

Running 'ldconfig' is not always appropriate, and therefore the vast
majority of programs do *not* run 'ldconfig' in "make install".  Whether
it is appropriate depends on several factors, including which OS and
distro you're using, which prefix you're installing to, whether you're
building a distro package that will actually be installed at a later
time, and which of several available mechanisms you have chosen to use
to allow programs to find their shared libraries.

For example, it's *never* appropriate to run 'ldconfig' on NixOS or Guix
systems, nor when building a Debian package or similar where the actual
installation will happen later, nor when installing into a directory
that's not listed in /etc/ld.so.conf (or /etc/ld.so.conf.d), nor when
running "make install" as non-root.

In theory we could try to make a guess, but there's no reliable way for
the build system to know whether it is appropriate or not, and in
practice it is usually done as a separate step in most modern systems.

     Regards,
       Mark