Re: Reinterpreting the compiler source code

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Reinterpreting the compiler source code
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 18:16:43 -0400

I can speak in favor of any serious effort to try to verify that
our binaries match our souce code.

> What we need is a language with a simple semantics for which we can write
> interpreters from scratch. It will be slow, but that doesn't matter. All we
> need it for is to generate the reference compiler that we know is secure,
> and the reference tools that we use to verify that the object code produced
> by the full 740 MB of GCC source when compiled by the 74MB gcc binaries, is
> the same object code our reference compiler produces.

I did not understand, until now, that this was meant as a way to verify GCC.
I thought you meant we should stop using our existing tools and program
in this language instead.  I was not interested in that.

However, as a scheme to verify our tools and keep using them,
it might make sense.  I can't judge how effective this sort of proof
might be, but I won't reject the idea.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation