Re: Top-levels, modules, optimizability

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Top-levels, modules, optimizability
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2013 22:32:30 +0100

Hi!

Time has passed...

address@hidden ("Taylan Ulrich "Bayırlı/Kammer\"") skribis:

> I propose three changes/features, the first two of which give way to
> *intra*-module optimizations only (i.e. on references a module makes
> to its own top-levels), and the third to inter-module optimizations
> (i.e. on references to module imports):
>
> 1. Immutable modules
> 2. Truly private top-levels
> 3. Static linking

The first would definitely be welcome from an optimization perspective
(allowing top-level functions to be inlined, and inter-module inlining
when modules are considered immutable.)

As noted in one of the threads you referred to, I think we really need
optimization declarations as found in many Schemes, so users can choose
what to do in each module.  It should be possible to keep a dynamic
approach as with current Guile when needed.

I’m not sure about “static linking” though.

Problems such as automatically detecting when a module used for syntax
has changed would need to be addressed too.  But it’s another story.
;-)

Ludo’.