Re: Top-levels, modules, optimizability

From: William ML Leslie
Subject: Re: Top-levels, modules, optimizability
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2013 18:49:34 +1100

On 1 November 2013 08:52, Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer")
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I have a set of proposals for making Guile Scheme more optimizable.
> My knowledge of Guile internals is lacking, but I hope these ideas
> will be useful from a high-level perspective, at the very least to
> ignite some thoughts.
>
> If feedback is positive, I will try and allocate a good chunk of my
> free time to actually trying to implement these, however long it takes
> me; I'm aware the existing developers are already quite busy. :)
>
> 1. Immutable modules
> 2. Truly private top-levels
> 3. Static linking

These should probably be considered along with the various automatic
solutions - eager and lazy deoptimisation triggered by mutation of
objects that the compilation process guessed were constant, in various
degrees of granularity.

I think there was some discussion of this when we were talking about
vm primitives, but I can't seem to find it.

--
William Leslie

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered
under copyright law.  You absolutely may reproduce any part of it in
accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this
in.  Any attempt to deny you those rights would be illegal without
prior contractual agreement.