Re: Documenting (system repl server)

From: Ian Price
Subject: Re: Documenting (system repl server)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 00:32:12 +0000

Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:

> Incidentally I think it would be a good idea to default to using named
> pipes.  Not sure we can change that in 2.0, but having a locally open
> TCP port to a shell is a security risk if you run a web browser on that
> same machine:

On one hand, it wasn't documented, so you could argue there was no
stable api for people to use (--listen excluded). On the other, I, and
probably others, have used and suggested it to others.

We could add a note to the docs saying that the named pipe interface
should be preferred, but it does feel a little at odds with having TCP
be the default. Hmmmmm.

--
Ian Price -- shift-reset.com

"Programming is like pinball. The reward for doing it well is
the opportunity to do it again" - from "The Wizardy Compiled"