Re: Documenting (system repl server)

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Documenting (system repl server)
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 22:10:33 +0100

Ian Price <address@hidden> skribis:

> For now, I have currently placed it in a new subsection of 6.17 (Reading
> and Evaluating Scheme Code). I'm not entirely convinced this is the
> right place for it, better suggestions welcome.

Sounds good to me.

> For 2, I have described the optional in the text, rather than trying to
> placing the expression directly in the prototype.

This has been discussed recently, but I think what you wrote it OK.

> address@hidden REPL Servers
> address@hidden REPL Servers
> +
> +The procedures in this section are provided by
> address@hidden
> +(use-modules (system repl server))
> address@hidden lisp
> +
> +When an application is written in Guile, it is often convenient to
> +allow the user to be able to interact with it by evaluating Scheme
> +expressions in a REPL.

I would add something like “The procedures of this module allow you to
spawn a @dfn{REPL server}, which permits interaction over a local or TCP
connection.”

Also, what about mentioning --listen, with a xref, as an example use?

> address@hidden {Scheme Procedure} make-tcp-server-socket [#:host=#f] @
> +                          [#:addr] [#:port=37146]
> +Returns a stream socket bound to a given address @var{addr} and port

Should be “Return”.

> address@hidden {Scheme Procedure} make-unix-domain-server-socket
> [#:path="/tmp/guile-socket"]
> +Returns a UNIX domain socket, bound to a given @var{path}.

Ditto.

> address@hidden {Scheme Procedure} run-server [server-socket]
> address@hidden {Scheme Procedure} spawn-server [server-socket]
> address@hidden creates and runs a repl, making it available over

Rather “Create and run a REPL” (“REPL” always uppercase).

Also, two spaces after an end-of-sentence period (info "(texinfo) Not
Ending a Sentence").  :-)

Thanks for working on this!

Ludo’.