Re: Guile 2.0.6 - some tests fail

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: Guile 2.0.6 - some tests fail
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 06:55:37 -0400

Jan Synacek <address@hidden> writes:
> when I run 'make check', some guile tests fail and I'm not sure why [1, 2].
>
> [1] http://jsynacek.fedorapeople.org/guile/check-guile.log
> [2] http://jsynacek.fedorapeople.org/guile/check-guile-fails.log (only FAILs)

Quoting from [2] (but rearranging the order somewhat):

> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char=? #\A #\a
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char=? #\A #\B
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char=? #\B #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char<? #\A #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char<? #\B #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char<=? #\B #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char>? #\A #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char>? #\A #\a
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char>? #\A #\B
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char>=? #\A #\a
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char>=? #\A #\B
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci=? #\A #\B
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci=? #\B #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci<? #\A #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci<? #\A #\a
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci<? #\B #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci<=? #\B #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci>? #\A #\A
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci>? #\A #\a
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci>? #\A #\B
> XFAIL: chars.test: basic char handling: comparisons: char-ci>=? #\A #\B

These are not failures in Guile itself, but rather inappropriate uses of
'expect-fail' in test cases where #f is the expected result.  You
needn't worry about them, and I have fixed these test cases on the
stable-2.0 branch.

> XFAIL: eval.test: map: documented?
> XFAIL: eval.test: define set procedure-name: procedure-with-setter
> XFAIL: goops.test: defining classes: define-class: bad init-thunk
> XFAIL: list.test: append!: wrong argument: improper list and empty list
> XFAIL: list.test: append!: wrong argument: improper list and list
> XFAIL: list.test: append!: wrong argument: list, improper list and list
> XFAIL: list.test: append!: wrong argument: circular list and empty list
> XFAIL: list.test: append!: wrong argument: circular list and list
> XFAIL: list.test: append!: wrong argument: list, circular list and list

These are expected failures, i.e. reminders to Guile developers to
improve the implementation.  I just fixed the first three 'append!'
cases (checking for improper lists) on the stable-2.0 branch, and will
look into fixing the others at some point, but you needn't worry about
them.

> FAIL: ftw.test: file-system-fold: test-suite (never enter)
> FAIL: ftw.test: file-system-fold: test-suite/lib.scm (flat file)
> FAIL: ftw.test: scandir: no select
> FAIL: ports.test: %file-port-name-canonicalization: absolute canonicalization
> from ice-9

These are genuine problems that most users haven't run into AFAIK, and
we should try to find the underlying cause.  Obviously they are all
filesystem related, so the first question that comes to mind is: What
filesystem type is your Guile source directory stored on?  Can you think
of anything else unusual about your system that might affect filesystem
behavior?

Thanks very much for bringing these problems to our attention.

     Mark