Re: wip-cse

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: wip-cse
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2012 20:41:38 +0200

Heya Ludo,

On Tue 24 Apr 2012 18:31, address@hidden (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> skribis:
>
>> I spent some time poking at vlists and ended up squeezing out a little
>> bit of performance.
>
> Any figures?

Well, last time I checked, with the patch compiling peval.scm was 2.10
seconds, compared to 2.35 without.  Not tiny, not huge.

> Did you try fiddling with ‘block-growth-factor’, as suggested earlier?

No I did not.  Another thing one could fiddle with would be the block
size for a new list head.  I feel like we need more metrics though: a
distribution of sizes of blocks, numbers of blocks in a vlist, hash
collisions per block, etc.  I'll merge this to master soon and we can
check what impact the new hash function has on performance.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/