Re: GNU Guile branch, master, updated. v2.1.0-158-g3c12fc3

From: Mark H Weaver
Subject: Re: GNU Guile branch, master, updated. v2.1.0-158-g3c12fc3
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2012 21:37:35 -0500

Hi Andy,

> commit 24ea9f9c3abb8d9398df4810b815075593ba67c8
> Author: Andy Wingo <address@hidden>
> Date:   Tue Mar 6 22:21:39 2012 +0100
>
>     ports.c: inline get_codepoint
>
>     * libguile/ports.c (get_codepoint): Add inline keyword.  It showed up
>       high in benchmarks, and it's static, so it's probably important to
>       inline.

It's generally frowned upon nowadays to explicitly ask the C compiler to
inline functions, as modern compilers usually do a better job of
deciding when to inline than we do.  It's not a very small function, and
now there will be two copies of it, maybe more in the future.  The
overhead of calling a static function is extremely low.  Were you able
to measure how much this helps performance?

    Thanks,
      Mark