The empty string and other empty strings

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: The empty string and other empty strings
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 10:13:07 +0100

Hello Mark!

Mark H Weaver <address@hidden> skribis:

> I wrote:
>> 3. Make scm_nullstr into a mutable string.  After all, it can't be
>>    changed anyway, and the _only_ reference to it is from
>>    scm_from_stringn, so the result should always be mutable.
>
> For the record: my statement above was in error; scm_nullstr is actually
> used in several files.  However, I looked at each use, and in all cases
> a mutable string is appropriate.  Also, it is SCM_INTERNAL.  So I
> committed the change.

I just noticed that there are i18n.test failures on Hydra, which point
at this commit:

  http://hydra.nixos.org/build/1790097

I think this is under the C locale, but I haven’t been able to reproduce
it yet.

Anyway, it seems that before, you couldn’t get any encoding error for
scm_from_stringn ("", "SOME-ENCODING"), whereas now you can.

A related question: can we have both narrow and wide empty strings?

Thanks,
Ludo’.