Reference documentation of modules and library

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Reference documentation of modules and library
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 22:47:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi-

So I was reading through the reference manual.  There is the
"API Reference" and "Guile Modules" chapter followed by the
"Standard Library" chapter.  I know historically why they
are separated that way, but if you didn't know about guile-lib
you aren't going to understand why they're divided that way.

What would you think moving things around to give each chapter
a better identity?  Maybe something like this

---

API REFERENCE AND STANDARD LIBRARY
These are all the procedures that exist in the base namespace, and
 don't require "use-module"

EXTENDED LIBRARY
These procedures require "use-module"

---

or alternately, you could split them up by how specialized they
are.

API REFERENCE
"This is all your basic language stuff."

STANDARD LIBRARY
"These procedures provide commonly-used functionality."

 - posix
 - r6rs

 - srfi
 - formatted output

 - getopt
 - pattern matching
 - readline
 - pretty-printing
 - ftw - buffered input
 - expect

EXTENDED LIBRARY
"These are more specialized libraries"

 - http
 - profiling
 - sxml
 - sxml match
 - texinfo
 - queues
 - streams

3rd-PARTY LIBRARIES
"These 3rd party libraries are not included in Guile but
provide important functionality.  Their use is encouraged."
 - slib
 - jacal
 - (maybe bitrotten scsh)
 - (maybe others??)