Re: Guile: What's wrong with this?

From: Bruce Korb
Subject: Re: Guile: What's wrong with this?
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2012 13:30:13 -0800

On 01/04/12 12:56, Andy Wingo wrote:
On Wed 04 Jan 2012 15:08, Bruce Korb<address@hidden>  writes:

On 01/04/12 11:43, Andy Wingo wrote:
The correct behavior is the status quo.  We are considering adding a
hack to produce different behavior for compatibility purposes.  We don't
have to worry about correctness in that case, only compatibility.  IMO
anyway :)

It would be a nice added benefit if it worked as one would expect.

I think that in this case, your expectations are just incorrect.  I
don't mean this rudely.  I think you will be happier and more productive
if you change your expectations in this regard to better match "reality"
(the state of things, common practice, conventional Scheme wisdom, etc).

Going forward, yes, sure, like the pointer aliasing thing.
It was just never an issue with the original C model and it
became such later.  In this case, expectations were built
upon perl and shell scripting models, and it seemed to work
that way.  In any case, the specific problem that actually
triggered this whole thread was that scm_from_locale_string
seems to be returning a reference to an immutable string
(unexpected) *AND* the string-upcase function is objecting
to it (also unexpected).  Otherwise, I'd have gone on oblivious
to any sort of issue.  :)

Cheers - Bruce