Re: Patch: New section "Invoking Guile" for chapter "Programming in Sche

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Patch: New section "Invoking Guile" for chapter "Programming in Scheme"
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 23:00:16 +0200

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the revisions.

On Sun 24 Apr 2011 22:36, Mark Harig <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 04:33:44PM +0200, Andy Wingo wrote:
>> your patches should be "atomic"
>
> "3. No patch introduces a regression: after applying any
> initial part of the series, the resulting project still
> compiles and works, and has no bugs that it didn’t have
> before."

Right, at the end of applying all of your patches, I'm sure that's the
case; however the first patch adds an @include without adding the
appropriate file, so applying just the first patch without the following
two would yield a project that doesn't compile.  I just meant that you
need to squish the first two or three of them together.  I can do that
when I apply them, though.

By @itemx I just meant to do instead of:

> address@hidden -s @var{script} @var{arg...}

you would

@item @var{script} @var{arg...}
@itemx -s @var{script} @var{arg}

The other option would be

@item [-s] @var{script} @var{arg}

which is not as clear IMO.  I feel that it's important to have a good
example up there, and making it clear that it's OK to just invoke Guile
as "guile foo.scm" is important.  But your description is good too.

> +For compatibility with some versions of Guile 1.4, you can also use the
> +form @code{(symbol ...)} (that is, a list of only symbols that doesn't
> +start with @code{@@}), which is equivalent to @code{(@@ (symbol ...)
> +main)}, or @code{(symbol ...)  symbol} (that is, a list of only symbols
> +followed by a symbol), which is equivalent to @code{(@@ (symbol ...)
> +symbol)}.  We recommend to use the equivalent forms directly since they
> +correspond to the @code{(@@ ...)}  read syntax that can be used in
> +normal code.  See @ref{Using Guile Modules} and @ref{Scripting
> +Examples}.

Again, probably worth eliding the deprecated 1.4 stuff...

> address@hidden --auto-compile
> +Compile source files automatically (default behavior).
> +
> address@hidden
> +
> address@hidden --no-auto-compile
> +Disable automatic source file compilation.
> +
> address@hidden

Need --fresh-auto-compile here too

> address@hidden GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE