Re: Indexing Scheme and C identifiers separately

From: Noah Lavine
Subject: Re: Indexing Scheme and C identifiers separately
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 21:18:38 -0400

Hello,

> I do not know how you are reading the Guile Reference
> Manual, but the printed version is about 809 pages long.  At
> present, the indices run from page 755 to 809, so the
> revision that is suggested, above, would not be small.
>
> What would be of some help to get this project started is a
> list of the identifiers:
>
>   1) A list of all Scheme procedure names
>   2) A list of all C procedure names
>   3) A list of all Scheme variable names
>   4) A list of all C variable names
>   5) A list of all Scheme type names
>   6) A list of all C type names
>
> (By "all names", I mean "all names included in the Guile
> Reference Manual", not, for example, "all C function names
> in Standard C".)

Perhaps I am misunderstanding you, but I am afraid that you are not
aware that the indices are generated automatically. The relevant file
is "<guile-source>/doc/ref/indices.texi. It contains three
"@printindex" commands, which I suspect generate the indices.

Therefore the way to do this is not to remake the indices ourselves,
but to change the texinfo code that generates them for us.
Unfortunately, I do not know enough about texinfo to know what is
involved in this.

So the good news is that it will be much less work than it might seem
to re-do this. The bad news is that someone has to learn texinfo,
unless one of us already knows it.

Noah