Re: summer of code project: cpan

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: summer of code project: cpan
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:16:26 +0200

On Tue 29 Mar 2011 15:51, Peter Brett <address@hidden> writes:

> Andy Wingo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Now that GNU is in the Google SoC, I'd like to propose again a CPAN for
>> Guile.
>
> I urge caution. This sounds suspiciously similar to Ruby "gems", which
> have worked okay for developers but have caused massive problems for
> system administrators, end users and distributions.
>
> This article on LWN is a good read (although it contains some unrelated
> criticism of other aspects of Ruby development).
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/423732/

Valid points, all.  I think the thing to do is to make it easy to
package Guile modules, as stored and versioned in our CPAN, as native
packages.  People who want to use native packages can do that.  The
repository can have an idea of what's installed on the system, and
what's installed by the user.  Guile developers can easily publish and
distribute code via the CPAN, just as Perl developers do.

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/