Re: PEG Parser

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: PEG Parser
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 23:03:31 +0100

On Wed 02 Feb 2011 01:26, Noah Lavine <address@hidden> writes:

> Here it is! All of the unhygienic syntax is gone, is a series of only
> 20 commits. :-) The peg.test tests should all pass after each one of
> these commits.

Thanks!  You've probably seen that I've applied this to wip-mlucy, which
we should probably rename wip-peg.  I've also added on a number of
cleanups of my own, some of which I will push out shortly when my ISP
figures out the route to git.sv.gnu.org again (hah).

The branch still needs some work before it can go in.  I have a feeling
that it should probably be split into two modules -- one providing the
things that peg-sexp-compile needs (minus `peg' patterns perhaps?) and
another that uses the "base" library to define a PEG grammar.  Perhaps?
In any case we need to not have the entire thing in one big ol'
eval-when.

Also, the documentation needs some help, and perhaps the patterns need
some tweaking -- for example (& pat) makes more sense than (body & pat
1) or the like.

I think Michael's work was pretty great, especially considering the
scope of the problem.  It has the potential to have so wide an impact
that we should focus on making it have exactly the right interface
before we merge it in.

Onwards, upwards, etc.!

Andy
--