%module-public-interface

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: %module-public-interface
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 22:45:53 +0200

Hello,

As you might well know, in every module that actually has a public
interface (most all of them), there is an extra symbol bound in that
module: %module-public-interface. It references, um, the public
interface.

Also in every module that has submodules, like (language tree-il) and
(language tree-il compile-glil), the "supermodule" has a binding for the
submodule. Do a (module-ref (resolve-module '(ice-9)) 'threads)
sometime.

It is, as my southern-US family would say, "turrible". But somehow it
normally doesn't affect us.

I'm pretty sure that the submodule thing can be changed without any
problem. But it seems that the %module-public-interface is used
explicitly, at least by texmacs and lilypond.

Any ideas on what the right thing to do is? Just leave it? Add fields to
modules for the public interface and submodules, but keep the
%module-public-interface binding? Throw up our hands and dance around?

Let me know,

Andy
--
http://wingolog.org/